Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Shelf Discovery Challenge


    

I've been successfully resisting participation in reading challenges all year, feeling that I needed a bit of respite after getting carried away with them in previous years and thereby transforming my pleasure reading into a source of stress. But Booking Mama's Shelf Discovery Challenge dovetails so nicely with my current project of revisiting the books that mattered most to me in childhood that there's no way I'm going to pass this one up! The challenge simply involves choosing six of the books featured in Lizzie Skurnick's Shelf Discovery: The Teen Classics We Never Stopped Reading, and reading and posting about them between November 1, 2009 and April 30, 2010. Here are my choices:

Judy Blume, Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret;
Louise Fitzhugh, Harriet the Spy;
E.L. Konigsburg, From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler;
Beverly Cleary, Fifteen;
Bette Greene, Summer of My German Solider; and,
Elizabeth George Speare, The Witch of Blackbird Pond.

I'm looking forward to revisiting each of these books, and to comparing notes on the experience with other participants in the challenge.

10 comments:

Julie P. said...

Awesome choices. I can't decide, but I guess I better at least get six down to start! Thanks for joining me! I hope we all have a lot of fun!

A Bookshelf Monstrosity said...

These look so fun...I haven't chosen mine yet.

Kathryn said...

I have very fond memories of the Mixed Up Files. I look forward to reading you coming posts.

Dorte H said...

I have definitely read and enjoyed the first, and probably also the second (not quite sure as I only read Danish books at that time).

Suko said...

Shelf Discovery sounds like the perfect reading challenge for you right now. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic. I find myself thinking about The Summer of My German Soldier so often. It definitely had a great impact! And of course pretty much most of the Judy Blume books.

Kailana said...

Great list of books! I particularly enjoy Summer of my German Soldier...

Melwyk said...

I love The Witch of Blackbird Pond! Have fun rereading these wonderful books.

Vasilly said...

You're bringing back memories with the cover of Are you there, God? It's me, Margaret. Happy reading.

books said...

I am confused to choose my need of books because so many collections and awesome opportunity to buy a favourite book.thanks.