Thursday, August 03, 2006

Saving Us the Trouble of Reading the Books


‘Well, I wouldn’t have the muck in the house,’ said the Captain, firmly. ‘I caught Hilda with it, and I said, “Now you send that book straight back to the library.” I don’t interfere, but one must draw the line somewhere.’

‘How did you know what it was like?’ asked Wimsey, innocently.

‘Why James Douglas’s article in the Express was good enough for me,’ said Captain Bates. ‘The paragraphs he quoted were filthy—positively filthy.’

‘Well, it’s a good thing we’ve all read them,’ said Wimsey. ‘Forewarned is forearmed.’

‘We owe a great debt of gratitude to the Press,’ said the Dowager Duchess; ‘so kind of them to pick out all the plums for us and save us the trouble of reading the books, don’t you think, and such a joy for the poor dear people who can’t afford seven and sixpence, or even a library subscription.’

From Dorothy L. Sayers, Strong Poison (1930).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful quote! This is the Sayers book that I decided on when I was last in the bookstore. First must finish Gaudy Night. She is a wonderful writer, isn't she?!

mary grimm said...

I love this book; and actually all of Sayers's stuff. You can't do better when you're looking for witty and erudite dialogue.

Stefanie said...

That's rich! I've got to get around to reading Sayers.