Sunday, September 06, 2009

Symposium on Book Blogging

There's a very thought-provoking symposium under way on "The Function of Book Blogging at the Present Time," conceived and hosted by D.G. Myers of A Commonplace Blog and Patrick Kurp of Anecdotal Evidence. Myers & Kurp have put a series of questions designed to provoke reflection on "the past, present, and future of this youngest of literary genres" to a number of book bloggers. Six responses have now been posted, and I understand that there are more to come.

You can find Myers' introduction to the symposium here, and the first six responses from participating bloggers at the links below:

Miriam Burstein (The Little Professor);
Frank Wilson (Books, Inq.);
Benjamin Stein (Turmsegler);
Michael Gilleland (Laudator Temporis Acti);
Mark Athitakis (American Fiction Notes); and,
Walter Aske (Elberry’s Ghost).

The symposium has me mulling afresh over some of the big questions of book blogging and has also exposed me to some bloggers of whom I hadn't previously been aware and whose blogs I'm now keen to read. If you haven't already, I encourage you to stop by A Commonplace Blog and Anecdotal Evidence to read the contributions of the participants and to chime in with your own views in the comments sections.


rhapsodyinbooks said...

Wonderful questions posed. And very good blogs, about which I had not known. Thank you very much for all the good info in this post!

Liz said...

I love, love, love boog blogs. I get so many interesting suggestions there, plus I like it when people pose questions about favorites, book covers, plot tricks, whatever. I will have to go take a look at this discussion.

Trish said...

Very cool. I love the comparisons a few of the bloggers made between print and blog book reviews -- essentially they're the same, but you also get to write about whatever you want whenever you want on your blog. I like that! Thanks for the links.