Saturday, April 18, 2009

Latest Library Loot

I picked this lot up yesterday at my beloved local library:

Roseanna by Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö (translated from the Swedish by Lois Roth): Contemporary Swedish crime fiction is garnering a great deal of attention all over the world these days. But apparently it all began several decades ago with the Martin Beck series penned by husband and wife team Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö. Roseanna, initially published in Swedish in 1965 and and in English translation in 1967, is the first in this ten-book series. I recall having trouble tracking down English translations of these books at one time, but a number of them have been re-released by Random House in the past year (with more to come), so now I get my chance. (Did I mention that I'm going to visit Sweden for the first time this summer? Expect my reading of Swedish literature to ramp up in the coming months in anticipation of that trip!)

How I Paid for College: A Novel of Sex, Theft, Friendship & Musical Theater by Marc Acito: I relish a good comic novel, and my friend Melody, who has impeccable taste in books, gave this one a rave review on Goodreads recently.

Advice for Italian Boys by Anne Giardini: A post by Kerry at Pickle Me This alerted me to this one. I gather that the main character in the novel is a personal trainer and much of the action takes place in a gym, and I can't help but be curious about a literary representation of a setting that is currently so familiar to me.

The Good Fairies of New York by Martin Millar: I recently read Millar's Lonely Werewolf Girl after having my interest piqued by a post about it by Colleen at Chasing Ray. I loved every minute of that book and upon reaching the end immediately resolved to read everything else Martin Millar has written. So, next up is The Good Fairies of New York. Click through to the descriptions of each on the Soft Skull site, and tell me if you can resist them!

Clouds of Witness by Dorothy Sayers (audiobook, narrated by Ian Carmichael): I'm a fan of Dorothy Sayers and I'm always on the lookout for audiobooks to enliven my stints on the treadmill at the gym, so I took note when Litlove praised the BBC's audiobook series of Sayers novels narrated by Ian Carmichael. I put several on hold and, after many months of waiting (they must be much in demand), this is the first one to turn up.

A good haul, all in all, wouldn't you say?

8 comments:

Melwyk said...

A very good haul! I've been meaning to read a Martin Millar book. Now I have to choose just one to start.

And lucky you -- Sweden! I've always wanted to go to Scandinavia. Look forward to your travelogues!

Anonymous said...

How I Paid for College reminds me, rationally or not, of Tom Perrotta's book Election. If you haven't read it, do so as soon as possible! It's also quite short but has emotional and comic heft out of proportion to its page count.

Suko said...

Kate, I am most intrigued by the Swedish one, Roseanna, and How I Paid for College. Thanks for sharing your loot.

Danielle said...

Lucky you to get to go to Sweden--you're the second person I've heard about going (people I know online that is). I've been reading Mari Jungstedt's mysteries which are set in Gotland and are pretty good. And I just bought Roseanna, too! I'm curious about the book set in the gym, too!

moonrat said...

i've been meaning to read THE GOOD FAIRIES OF NEW YORK for a long time and keep forgetting. let me know how it is!!

litlove said...

Wow - they all sound good and so very unknown to me! Except for the Dorothy L Sayers, though, and the delectable Mr Carmichael. I do hope you enjoy it - I've got that one and it is restfully pleasurable!

Kerry said...

Hope you like Advice... It's not a perfect book, but there's definitely much there worth considering. I enjoyed reading it very much, and I hope you do too. I also hope you identify with one of Nicolo's more lovable clients...

LK said...

I haven't been blogging as of late, and I do so miss yours (and Litlove's and Dorothy's and Danielle's...!)

Graet list, good haul. Will see if I can find some of these in my library.

Best regards from Ms. LK!