Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Design Flaw

  

I thought that the cover of Daniel Gilbert's Stumbling on Happiness (Knopf, 2006) was quite striking when I came upon it in a bookstore. Then a few weeks later I picked up Sonja Lyubomirsky's The How of Happiness (Penguin, 2007) from a library shelf thinking it was the same book. Rather a misstep on Penguin's part, wouldn't you say, so closely echoing the cover design of another recent work of popular psychology on the same topic? Lyubomirsky's is a self-help book, so it will appeal to a somewhat different audience. But they're still likely to be shelved in the same section of the bookstore. And given that Gilbert provided a blurb for Lyubomirsky's book, surely someone on her team ought to have been aware of his book and noted the similarity? I bet he was a was a bit taken aback on first sight of his complimentary copy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There should be an entire bookstore section devoted to "life is not a bowl of cherries" books. And they should all have cherry-related themes, and come with cherry-related swag, which I will not here describe, because I feel I must keep SOMETHING back when I leave long and rambling comments on your blog or they would just be longer and more rambling than they already are.