Monday, November 14, 2005

It's Raining Books

SFP at Pages Turned asked today why the books one puts on hold at the library always seem to arrive all at once. I found myself pondering the same question when I wandered into the library this afternoon and found ten (!) books waiting for me on the hold shelf:

A Short History of Myth by Karen Armstrong;
Arthur and George by Julian Barnes;
Death in the Age of Steam by Mel Bradshaw;
Natasha and Other Stories by David Bezmozgis;
Mouthing the Words by Camilla Gibb;
Making It Up by Penelope Lively;
Open: Stories by Lisa Moore;
13 Ways of Looking at the Novel by Jane Smiley;
A Field Guide to Getting Lost by Rebecca Solnit; and,
Golden Apples by Eudora Welty.

I’m not sure where to begin. Probably with Arthur and George as a courtesy to the 512 library patrons that are still waiting for it in the hold queue...

3 comments:

Stefanie said...

Wow, you ended up with more than Susan did! We all know what you will be doing for the next several weeks :)

SFP said...

Oh, droooool! How long do you get to keep them?

Kate S. said...

Three weeks, with two renewals if no one else is waiting for them. But I think several people are waiting for most of these. I'd better get reading!